Type to search

Community Election Government - Local Law and Order National News

Alabama Man Pleads Guilty to Threatening Fulton DA Fani Willis and Sheriff Patrick Labat


Arthur Ray Hanson II, a 58-year-old insurance salesman from Huntsville, Alabama, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to making threatening phone calls to Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and Sheriff Patrick Labat. The threats were related to the criminal investigation into former President Donald Trump.

During the plea hearing, Hanson told U.S. Magistrate Judge Regina Cannon that he did not realize his calls constituted threats. “I made a stupid phone call. I’m not a violent person,” he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Bret Hobson explained to the judge that on August 6, a week before Trump’s indictment, Hanson called the Fulton County Government customer service line and left a threatening voicemail for Labat. In the minute-and-a-half call, Hanson made several threatening statements, including, “If you think you gonna take a mugshot of my President Donald Trump and it’s gonna be OK, you gonna find out that after you take that mugshot, some bad (expletive)’s probably gonna happen to you.” He also warned, “I’m warning you right now before you (expletive) up your life and get hurt real bad.”

Five minutes later, Hanson called the customer service number again and left a voicemail for Willis. He said, “I would be very afraid if I were you because you can’t be around people all the time that are going to protect you; there’s going to be moments when you’re going to be vulnerable.” He added, “When you charge Trump on that fourth indictment, anytime you’re alone, be looking over your shoulder.”

Judge Cannon asked Hanson if he had indeed made these statements. Hanson initially responded, “I guess,” but Cannon pressed him for a definitive answer. Hanson then admitted, “Yes, ma’am.”

When interviewed by the FBI, Willis mentioned that she had received several threatening messages regarding her prosecution of Trump, but Hanson’s voicemail was particularly alarming due to its mention of her family. As a result, both Willis and Labat have increased their security. Willis now has security posted around her daughter’s home, and Labat has increased his security detail to 24 hours a day.

The maximum sentence for the single felony count of making threats over interstate phone calls is five years in prison. However, Hobson told Cannon that the government would recommend a more lenient sentence for Hanson due to his acceptance of responsibility. Hanson expressed surprise at the consequences of his actions, stating, “I never dreamed the FBI would show up at my house. … I didn’t knowingly know I was threatening anybody. To me, it was a warning.”

Hanson is allowed to remain out on bail as the case proceeds. His sentencing will be presided over by U.S. District Judge J.P. Boulee at a later date.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *